Snappy wit and crackling talent
Holly Walsh is an award-winning comedian and writer.
Holly is currently working on scripts for a number of major broadcasters and in 2015 hosted her own BBC Radio series, Best Behaviour. She co-wrote the BBC sitcom pilot Motherland with Sharon Horgan, Graham Linehan and Helen Linehan which was released to widespread critical acclaim, with a second series confirmed. Holly is also the creator and writer of The Other One, which was piloted on BBC2 in 2017 and has had a full first series commissioned.
Holly’s stand-up credentials were established with her 2008 Best Newcomer win at the Chortle Awards and confirmed with an Edinburgh Comedy Award nomination three years later for her debut Fringe show, Hollycopter. The show also enjoyed a sell-out run at the Soho Theatre in 2012. Holly returned to the Edinburgh Fringe in 2014 where her sold-out show Never Had It was warmly received by audiences and critics alike, most notably The Observer who lauded Holly’s ‘gift for original lines and images that make the show a joy.’ In April 2015 she brought the show to London for a critically-acclaimed run at The Soho Theatre.
Holly has featured on many of the top TV comedy shows including Live At The Apollo, QI, 8 Out of 10 Cats, 8 Out Of 10 Cats Does Countdown, Never Mind the Buzzcocks, Would I Lie To You?, QI and Mock The Week, as well as hosting the Channel 4 series TNT alongside Jack Whitehall. She is often heard on radio and has appeared on shows such as Just a Minute, The Unbelievable Truth, The Now Show, The News Quiz and Charlie Brooker’s So Wrong It’s Right for Radio 4. As well as these appearances, Holly is much in demand as a writer for TV and radio and has written widely for both.
On top of her TV and radio commitments, Holly’s live work remains a key element of her career and sees her perform at the best comedy clubs in the country. She was one of the founders of Popcorn Comedy and the Happy Mondays comedy night in London.
- Nominee: Foster’s Edinburgh Comedy Award, Best Newcomer Nominee, 2011
- Winner: Chortle Awards Best Newcomer 2008
- Finalist: Hackney Empire New Act Of The Year 2007
- Finalist: So You Think You’re Funny Competition Finalist 2006
- Finalist: Funny Women Competition Finalist 2006
- QI (BBC2, 2016-2019)
- I’ll Get This (BBC2, 2018)
- Room 101 (BBC1, 2018)
- The Apprentice: You’re Fired (BBC2, 2017)
- Parenting For Idiots (C4, 2017)
- 8 Out Of 10 Cats Does Countdown (C4, 2014 – 2017)
- Live At The Apollo (BBC2, 2016)
- Mock the Week (BBC2, 2009 – 2016)
- Roald Dahl’s Most Marvelous Book (Channel 4, 2016)
- Pointless Celebrities (BBC1, 2016)
- Insert Name Here (BBC2, 2016)
- Danny Baker’s Players’ Lounge (BT Sport 1, 2015)
- Alan Davies As Yet Untitled (Dave, 2015)
- Sweat the Small Stuff (BBC3, 2014)
- Comedy Central at The Comedy Store (Comedy Central, 2014)
- The Matt Lucas Awards, (BBC1, 2013)
- Deal or No Deal / 8 Out of 10 Cats Mash Up, (Channel 4, 2013)
- Celebrity Mastermind (BBC1, 2013)
- 8 Out of 10 Cats (Channel 4, 2009 – 2012)
- Jonathan Ross Film Show (Pilot) (ITV, 2012)
- Never Mind The Buzzcocks (BBC2 2009 -2012)
- The Mad Bad Ad Show (Channel 4, 2012)
- The Joy of the Single (BBC4 2012)
- Edinburgh Comedy Gala (BBC3, 2011)
- All Over The Place (CBBC, 2011)
- Comedy Summit (Pilot) (E4, 2011)
- Dave’s One Night Stand (Dave, 2010)
- My So Called Life Sentence (pilot) (BBC2, 2010)
- The Blame Game (BBC N. Ireland, 2010)
- Would I Lie To You? (BBC 1, 2010)
- Celebrity Big Brother’s Big Mouth (Channel 4, 2010)
- You Have Been Watching (C4, 2009 – 2010)
- TNT Show (Channel 4, 2009)
- Big Brother’s Little Brother (Channel 4, 2009)
- Big Brother’s Big Mouth (Channel 4, 2009)
- Sound Celebrity Stalker (BBC 2, 2009)
- Charlie Brooker’s Newswipe (Pilot, 2009)
- Winging It (BBC Switch, 2009)
- Quarter Life Crisis (Current TV, 2009)
- The Late Edition (BBC4, 2008)
- Children’s BBC (CBBC, 2008)
- Edinburgh & Beyond (Paramount Comedy Channel, 2008)
- Delta Forever (BBC3, 2008)
- Frank Skinner’s Skateboarding Dog (pilot) 2007
- The Unbelievable Truth, guest panelist, BBC Radio 4, 2016-2019
- The News Quiz, guest panelist, BBC Radio 4 2009-2017
- Just A Minute, guest panelist, BBC Radio 4, 2016
- Museum Of Curiosity, panelist, BBC Radio 4 2016
- Best Behaviour, host and writer, BBC Radio 4 2015
- The Unbelievable Truth, panelist, Random Entertainment, BBC Radio 4 2014
- The Now Show, co-writer & performer, BBC Radio 4 2009 – 2014
- Britain vs The World, guest panelist, BBC Radio 4 2014
- Radio 4 Extra comedy, presenter links, BBC Radio 4 2014
- Just A Minute, guest panelist, BBC Radio 4 2014
- Wordaholics, guest panelist, BBC Radio 4 2014
- Fred McCauley & Co, guest, BBC Radio Scotland 2013 & 2014
- Al Murray’s Seven Day Sunday, guest, BBC Radio 5 2013
- Nick Helm’s Boxing Day, stand up contributor, BBC Radio 1
- Steven K Amos Show, stand up contributor, BBC Radio 4
- Frank Skinner Show, Depping – Avalon, Absolute Radio 2012
- International Waters, podcast 2012
- And the winner is… Guest panelist, BBC Radio 2, 2011
- Charlie Brooker’s So Wrong It’s Right Guest panelist BBC Radio 4 2010-11
- Roundtable Guest panelist BBC 6Music 2010-2014
- 7 Day Sunday Guest BBC Radio 5 2010 – 2011
- Act Your Age Guest Captain Radio 4 2010 – 2011
- Out To Lunch Stand up BBC R2 2008
- Act Your Age Guest Panelist BBC R4 2008
- Witty & Twisted – James Kettle’s Skyscraping Ambitions Performer BBC7 2007
- Holly Walsh: Never Had It – Soho Theatre 2015
- Holly Walsh: Never Had It – Edinburgh Festival 2014
- Holly Walsh: Hollycopter – Soho Theatre 2012
- Holly Walsh: Hollycopter – Edinburgh Festival 2011
- Ross Noble Tour Support, 2011
- Leicester Comedy Festival Tour Stand Up National Tour 2009
- The Comedy Reserve Stand Up Pleasance, Edinburgh Fringe Festival 2008
- Motherland, Series 1 & 2 (co-writer & creator) (BBC2, 2017-2019)
- Girl Band pilot (working title), writer, Leftbank / Channel 4 2014
- The Example pilot, writer & creator, Noho 2014
- Psychobitches Series 2, Hat Trick / Sky 2014
- Dead Boss, Executive Producer, Warner Bros, 2014
- Crackanory Series 2, Tiger Aspect / Dave 2014
- Best Friend (Working Title), film co-writer & co-creator, Big Talk / Pacific Standard Prods 2013
- 88 Keys non-TX pilot, writing contributor Big Talk / BBC 2013
- Crackanory Series 1, Tiger Aspect / Dave 2103
- Bad Management, co-writer/creator & co-producer, ABC Productions 2013
- Cardinal Burns, Series 2, Left Bank / Channel 4 2013
- Psychobitches Series 1, Hat Trick / Sky 2013
- Anna & Katy, Roughcut / Channel 4 2013
- Dead Boss, co-writer/creator , BBC3 2012
- Bad Mom, co-writer, ABC Productions 2012
- My So Called Life Sentence pilot Co-writer with Sharon Horgan BBC 2010
- V-EYE-P writing contributor BBC3 2010
- Bigipedia writing contributor BBC Radio 2009
- The News Quiz writing contributor BBC R4 2009
- Broken Arts writing contributor BBC R4 2009
- Talking and Not Talking (with Laura Solon) S2 & S3 writing contributor BBC R4 2008 – 2009
- The Anna & Katy Show (pilot) writing contributor BBC R2 2008
- The Wall writing contributor BBC3 2008
- Laurence & Gus – Hearts & Minds S2 & S3 writing contributor BBC Radio 4 2008
- The Charlotte Church Show writing contributor Channel 4 2007
- Grrrr writer, BBC Scotland 2007
- It’s That Jo Caulfield Again S2 & S3 writing contributor BBC Radio 4 2006 – 2007
She’s gifted with snappy wit and crackling talent.
She peppers her set with callbacks and clever asides and has easy charm.
Holly Walsh really impressed…excellent sets and endeared herself through some assured banter with crowds who really took to her.
British Comedy Guide
A talent for smart comic writing and the ability to keep an audience rapt.
On 2014 Edinburgh Show Never Had It
Her steady stream of witty and astute cultural observations belie her dorkiness from the first.
Her gift for original lines and images that make this show a joy.
Brilliantly understated comic and comedy writer who claims to have a lack of charisma, yet weaves a relentlessly high gag count into her stories.
A meticulously well prepared and delivered Fringe show.
A lightness of touch, springing punchlines on us when we least expect it.
Beyond The Joke
On 2011 Fosters nominated Edinburgh Show The Hollycopter
Delightful moments of hilarity.
Wry asides and delicate puns…genuinely endearing.
Less than a week into her debut run she is confident and composed.
A bubbly and infectious persona that is complimented by abilities as a writer and performer. She has crafted a well-honed piece with plenty of laughs, a satisfying story and even a joyous conclusion…She will go a long way.
Original humour…hilarious narrative anyone can relate to.